Thursday, May 25, 2006

Revolution Square


Here are some photos from one of my favorite metro stations –Revolution Square. From what I understand it is illegal to take photos down here, but the cops I talked to seemed to be more than helpful when answering my questions. Some of these figures are polished yellow in areas (e.g. the nose of the german shepherd). As people walk by they touch parts of the figures, apparently for good luck. The figures are supposed to represent all the parts of society that need to work in order for the revolution to be a success. One of the things that always strikes me is the attention to gender the municipalities had when creating these figures. If there is a man with a rifle there is a woman with a rifle; if there is a woman with a baby there is a man with a baby. There are always two sets of figures representing each theme and almost always one is female and the other male.